Herbal Teas: selection of five teas using blends of: Stevia, Pineapple Sage, Fruit Salad Sage, Mexican tarragon, Moroccan Mint, Brahmi, Lemon Verbena and Lime Verbena. Herbal teas are getting some popularity with wider community but generally only commercially available varieties. It is a real buzz to walk out the door pick a few leaves drop them in the cup and zap – a refreshing, healthy hot drink. Also for mums that don’t want kids loaded up with sugar you can make stronger blends, place them in fridge then just add water for a refreshing home made cordial.
1/2 cup of coarsely chopped leaves of each of the following;
- Stevia – Stevia rebaudiana, sugar plant, calorie free sugar substitute, suitable for diabetics
Pineapple Sage – Salvia elegans, attractive large shrub with scarlet flowers, pineapple flavour
- Fruit Salad Sage – Salvia dorisiana, pretty shrub with nice pink flowers, fruity flavour
- Mexican tarragon – Tagetes lucida, medium shrub with yellow flowers and liquorice flavour.
- Moroccan Mint – Menta spicata, intense flavoured spearmint used in Moroccan Mint Tea
- Lemon Verbena – Aloysia triphylla, large shrub with white flowers and lemon scented foliage.
- Lime Verbena – Aloysia triphylla ’Lime’, large shrub with white flowers and citrus foliage.
- Brahmi – Bacopa monniera, groundcover with green tea flavour that boosts memory.
- For all teas chop leaves into pieces about1 to 2 cm square
- Place in cup and add boiling water
- Add Stevia leaves to sweeten if desired
- Leave to infuse for 3 to 4 minute
- For all teas triple quantities, leave to brew for five minutes add ice block to cool then place in fridge. Once chilled place 50ml in glass, fill with water for cool summer drink.
Mintea: 2 Stevia leaves, 6 Moroccan Mint Leaves, 1 Lime Verbena leaf.
Fruitea: 1 med pineapple sage leaf, 1 fruit salad sage leaf, 1 lemon verbena leaf.
Lemonzap: 4 lemon verbena leaves, 2 lime verbena leaves, 1/2 pineapple sage leaf.
Uppitea: 2 leaves of Mexican tarragon, sprig of Brahmi, 2 leaves lime verbena
Memortea: 2 sprigs of Brahmi, 2 leaves lemon verbena, 1 leaf fruit salad sage.